Gluten Free Snickerdoodles


I must confess...I love sweets! Since I've gone gluten free it's been harder to find sweets that I can eat (especially here in Japan where there isn't an abundance of gluten free companies). I think it's my love of sweets that birthed my love of baking...out of necessity.

Now I have found a few gluten free baking mixes here that are gluten free (one was for cookies) but I wasn't too impressed. My first attempt was chocolate chip cookies (I'll have to write about that some other time) but I kept hearing people talk about snickerdoodles which I've never had. I looked up a recipe and was determined to test it out. Sugar, butter, cinnamon (and a few other things)...you can't go wrong there!

Now for the recipe:

Ingredients

Cookie dough
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter softened (or melted, see note below)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Coating
2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

If you plan on baking these immediately after making then go ahead and pre-heat your oven to 400 F (about 204 C).

In a large bowl cream the sugar and butter. If you want to bake your cookies immediately I suggest you use softened butter. If you plan on letting the dough harden in the fridge then melted butter is fine. I am lazy so I leave the electric mixer in my cabinet and use a spoon to mix everything. An electric mixer would probably work well to.

Add the vanilla and eggs and blend well. Add the flours and sprinkle on the cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt evenly on top. I try and mix the dry ingredients on the top before incorporating with the wet ingredients. Mix everything together until a dough forms.

If your dough seems too "gooey" to form into balls you can let it harden in the fridge. Make the topping by mixing the sugar and cinnamon together well.



Roll dough into 1 inch balls then roll each ball into the sugar/cinnamon mix till entirely covered.



Place on a parchment lined baking pan at least 1 inch apart and flattenen a bit with your fingers.


Bake 7-9 minutes  making sure not to brown them. Leave on the baking pan for a few minutes before trying to remove or they will crumble. Once they are cool enough you can remove them with a spatula carefully and they won't crumble.


This recipe makes about 50 small cookies. I usually make this for potlucks so I like to make them small and numerous! You may be able to make them bigger but I haven't tried that yet. 


Comments