Gluten Free Sandwich Bread


Looks good, doesn't it?


One of my friends blessed me with some xanthan gum on Sunday and I figured I should finally try and attempt to make some gluten free bread on my own (I've only made it with mixes prior to this). I searched through Pinterest to find a GF bread that looked tasty (and pinned a few more for future reference as well). I ended up going with this one from Simply Sugar and Gluten Free.

I had to modify it a bit as I didn't have exactly the same ingredients on hand (which is possibly why mine looks a bit...rough).

All prepped

Ingredients (modified from site above)
2 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour
1/2 Cup Quinoa Flour
1 tablespoon palm sugar
 2 1/4 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
1 teaspoon sugar (for proofing yeast)
1/4 cup warm water (for proofing yeast)
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup vegetable oil (we only had salad oil)
1 teaspoon sushi vinegar (again, all we had)
1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

To prep: oil a bread loaf pan and line with parchment paper if you like (I found that it made it easier to remove the bread). You will need to preheat your oven to 350 F but keep in mind that your bread will be rising for 1 hour. I have a gas oven so I didn't turn it on till after I had the dough in my pan.

In a large bowl I added the flour and palm sugar (after I grated the palm sugar). I used a fork to make sure both flours and the sugar were well incorporated. In a small bowl I put 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast and added 1/4 cup of warm water then 1 teaspoon of sugar and let it sit.

In a separate bowl I mixed together 2 eggs, 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup oil, and 1 teaspoon of vinegar. Again, I used a fork to mix these ingredients together.

Next, I added the proofed yeast to the large bowl with the flour/sugar and mixed. I then added the wet ingredients and mixed well.

This is what it looked like after mixing

I've made GF bread before from mixes so I wasn't concerned about the consistency. It's more sticky and wet then normal gluten filled bread. I dumped it all into my Pampered Chef stoneware bread loaf pan, smoothed it out a bit, and covered with plastic wrap. Put dough in a warm place and let rise for 1 hour.

After dough has risen put it in the pre-heated oven to bake for 45-55 minutes. I should have checked on mine during baking because when I pulled it out it was a bit too brown...not burnt tasting though:


Let the bread sit for about 5 minutes then tip the pan on its side and pull the bread out just a bit to let some steam out from below (soggy bottom bread is not tasty). Let that sit for about 15 minutes longer then transfer to a cooling rack (or in my case dump it over and let the bottom cool off). Once the bread is cool to the touch you should be able to slice it.

It didn't crumble! 

So my bread ended up being a little short on top but it has the same consistency as pre-made bread mixes. It had a slightly yeasty taste (yum!) and I really couldn't taste any of the quinoa in it. My toddler gobbled it down and my gluten eating husband was even impressed!

This recipe was a success. I still want to experiment though to try and make it better. I think my next endeavor will be to try and make rolls!







Comments